Homelessness Services

Homelessness Services

If you are at risk of homelessness, that is, if you think you may lose your home, if you have received a notice to quit or a notice to vacate your current accommodation And your last permanent address is situated in County Leitrim, you need to present to the Housing section in the Council’s office between 9.30am and 1pm Monday - Friday at Aras a Chontae, Carrick on Shannon, Co, Leitrim or call us on Telephone: 071 9650426.  If it is outside of office hours you should go to your local Garda Station.

An assessment of your Housing need will be completed. This will require the completion and submission of an Application for Social Housing Support.  If you have a bona-fide emergency housing need, Leitrim County Council may assist you in the provision of emergency accommodation until alternative private rented or other accommodation becomes available.

Who is a Homeless Person?

A homeless person is defined in Section 2 of the Housing Act, 1998, as a person, who, in the opinion of the local authority concerned:

1.      Has no accommodation available which he or any other person who normally resided with him/her, or might reasonably be expected to reside with him/her, can reasonably occupy or remain in occupation of,


2.      Is living in a hospital, county home, night shelter or other such institution because he/she does not have accommodation of the kind referred to in (1).


Is unable to provide accommodation for his/her own resources.

This means that persons who have no accommodation available to them and persons living in night shelters etc. solely because they have no other accommodation may be regarded as homeless by the local authority where they are unable to provide accommodation from their own resources.


Further Details are available from:-

The Housing Department,

Leitrim County Council,

Aras An Chontae,

Carrick on Shannon,

Co. Leitrim.

Telephone No. 071 9650426

E-Mail:  housing@leitrimcoco.ie

What do I need to bring with me?

You need photo identification, such as a public service card, driving license or passport.  You also need proof of your income/social welfare payment such as a recent receipt from the Post Office.  


I’m under 18, what do I do?

The Health Service Executive (HSE) will help you if you are under 18 years. If you are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless go to your local Area Health Office and look to speak to a social worker. If that office is closed, for example it is after 5:00pm you should go to the local Garda Station and they will contact the on-duty social worker.

  • EU Sturctural Fund
  • European Union