The Waste Management (Electrical & Electronic Equipment) Regulations 2005 & the Waste Management (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) (Amendment) Regulations 2008 were introduced for the management of hazardous materials contained in waste electrical and electronic equipment.
- Retailers are required by law to take back waste electrical goods and electronic equipment from customers free of charge.
- Take back is on a one-for-one basis only and the appliance being returned must be of a similar type or have performed the same function as the new item purchased. For example, retailers are not obliged to accept a fridge where the customer has purchased a toaster.
- Where goods are brought over the counter, retailers must take back the old product in-store either at the time of sale or within a maximum of 15 days of the date of sale, proved the consumer can provide proof of purchase.
- Where a new appliance or equipment is being delivered, for example a new washing machine, cooker etc., the seller of the product must take back the old appliance either
(i) on the delivery of a new product either at the time of delivery, provided the old product has been cleaned and disconnected from any utilities and is ready for immediate collection, or
(ii) at their premises within a maximum of 30 days from the date of delivery.
Retailers must give 24 hours notice of a delivery or else return within 15 days to collect the old appliance.
- Whichever take-back option a consumer avails of must be free of charge.
Each retailer must:
- register annually with their local authority;
- provide free in-store take back of household W.E.E.E.
- ensure that any W.E.E.E. collected is delivered to an approved collection facility within the local authority area.
Retailers are requested to complete the registration form which can be obtained by contacting the Environment Department of Leitrim County Council on 1890 205 205and return completed form to the Environment Section, Leitrim County Council, Aras an Chontae, Carrick on Shannon, Co. Leitrim together with the registration fee of €20 by January 31st of each year. A registration certificate valid up to 31st December will then be issued.
Registered retailers are entitled to avail of the W.E.E.E take-back facilities at Mohill and Manorhamilton Recycling Centres. These facilities are also available free-of-charge to the public.
Inspections to assess retailer compliance with these Regulations will be carried out