Arising from decision of meeting of Leitrim County Council on 7th July 2014 it has been agreed to defer the full implementation of the Pay-by-Weight Waste Collection System until 1st December 2014 and to operate a ‘Dual System’ of refuse collection in County Leitrim in the intervening period. This means that householders will have the option of using either the new Pay-by-Weight system or the existing Tag system operated by their permitted Waste Collector until 30th November 2014, with all households required to operate on the Pay-by-Weight system as and from 1st December 2014.
This lead-in time will allow permitted Waste Collectors to communicate fully with their existing and prospective customers in relation to the new system and provides householders with an opportunity to inform and prepare themselves in this regard and to make the necessary arrangements for transfer to the new system.
Pay by Weight only will operate in County Leitrim as and from 1st December 2014. It should be noted however that Plastic Bags (Black/Blue) are not acceptable for presentation of waste for collection as from 1st February 2014 and customers should contact their Waste Collector directly for refund of stocks of plastic bags in hand. Householders must also obtain and use a brown bin/caddy for their collection as and from 1st February 2014.
It should also be noted that, as and from 7th November 2013, all householders in County Leitrim are required to register with a permitted Waste Collector of choice. If you have not already registered you are advised that you should do so now.
In order to avail of the Pay by Weight Service in County Leitrim – you must follow the guidance in points 1-5 below:
1. Check if you are registered with a waste collector for the provision of a waste service
2. If so, you should have an account number
3. If you do not have an account number or are not registered ring your waste collector to register and obtain an account number
4. Your waste collector will provide you with three bins which they will microchip and match to your account number so that they will be lifted by the pay by weight system
5. Records of the kilograms of waste collected in your bins will be attached to your account number and the relevant charge per kilogram will be applied (statements showing waste collected will be issued by your waste collectors at intervals throughout the year. Records/weights and charges applied can also by queried in your account on line or by phone
Make sure you have a black bin/blue bin and brown bin so as to reduce waste costs as the blue and brown bin will be much cheaper than the black bin. There are a number of ways to top up your account such as
1) Logging online to your account and paying online
2) At any payzone outlet
3) By phone
4) At their offices
5) By post
Some collectors have broken down the cost of the pay by weight system compared to the tag system on their websites. Please check their websites for full details using the links below.
What items can I place in my bin?
Click on a waste stream below for an itemised list.
Household Waste Collectors in Leitrim
Downloads and Useful Information