In Ireland, the principal law relating to noise is Sections 106, 107, and 108 of Part VI of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Act 1992. Local Authorities have powers under Section 107(1) to serve a notice on any person in charge of premises, processes or works, other than an activity which is licensable under IPC, when they consider that it is necessary to do so in order to prevent or limit noise. The (Noise) Regulations 1994 (S.I. 179) which implemented Section 108 of the EPA Act, 1992, were designed to simplify and strengthen the procedures for dealing with noise nuisance. A Local Authority, the EPA or any other affected person may complain to the District Court under Section 108(1) of the EPA Act, where any noise is so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause or annoyance to a person in any premises in the neighbourhood, or to a person lawfully using any public place. The Department of the Environment has issued a self-explanatory leaflet entitled A Guide to Noise
Procedure for making a complaint of noise nuisance to the District Court
1. Identify District Court sitting dates with the Court Clerk.
2. Complete the District Court Form as required under Section 108 EPA Act 1992.
3. After consultation with the court service, issue (ideally by registered post) the above completed form to the occupier of the premises from which noise nuisance arises.
4. The notice must be served within 7 days of the alleged nuisance.
5. The notice and evidence of its service (Trace & Trace document available from www.anpost.ie for registered post or signed statement if hand delivered) shall be lodged with the Court Clerk in time for court sitting and within 7 days of the alleged nuisance.
6. There is no requirement to obtain the services of a solicitor, this remains your personal choice to have one present or not.
7. The District Court requires a set fee for the provision of this service, please contact the court service directly for further details.
Carrick on Shannon:
District Court Office,
Carrick on Shannon,
Tel + 353 71 962 0481
Fax + 353 71 962 2061
Relevant forms can be downloaded here.
District Court Form - Complaint in relation to noise
Noise Nuisance Record Form
Frequently Asked Questions