Comhairle na nOg is an initiative of the National Children’s Office under the National Children’s Strategy. It provides an opportunity for young people, under 18 years of age, to have a say in issues that affect their lives. It is composed of representatives of secondary schools and relevant youth organisations and meets two or three times per annum, usually on Saturday so as not to disrupt school activity.
In the last year or two Comhairle na nOg Liatroma provided representation to a number of initiatives such as:
- Dail na nOg – the national Young Person’s Parliament
- Working group on student councils in schools
- Consultation on Health Board services in the region
- Working group to select the Ombudsman for Children
- Broadcasting Commission consultation on standards of advertising aimed at children.
The Comhairle is being run by North Connaught Youth and Community Services in 2011/12. Contact is Fiona Taylor on 071 9641721
For further information contact Paul Kirkpatrick on (071) 9620005 ext. 302