Local Election Results 2009 -
The Law relating to Local Elections is contained in the:
- Local Elections Regulations 1995, as Amended by the Electoral (Amendment Act 1996)
- Electoral Act 1997
- Electoral (Amendment) Act 2001
- Electoral Amendment Act 2002
- Local Government (No. 2) Act 2003
- Electoral Amendment Act 2006
- Electoral Amendment Act 2009
- Electoral (Amendment) Regulations 2009
In general these Acts provide for the conduct of Elections including nominations, postal voting, special voting, arrangements for the Poll, the taking of the poll, procedure and facilities for voting, counting of votes, rules for the counting of votes and electoral offences. Other relevant statutory provisions include the:
- Electoral Polling Scheme Regulations 2005
- Local Elections (disclosure of donations) and Expenditure Act 1999 as amended by the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2001, the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2002 and the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009.
- Local Elections (Petitions and Disqualifications) Act 1974
- Electoral Act 1992 as amended by the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1996, the Electoral Act 1997, the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2001, the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2002, the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2006 and the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2007.
- Parts III & IV of the Local Government Act 2001
- The Local Government (No. 2) Act 2003
All of the above legislation is available on the following website - www.oireachtas.ie
Mr. John Gormley T.D., Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, announced on the 5th February that European and Local Elections will be held on Friday 5 June 2009. Polling hours will be from 7.00 am to 10.00 pm.
Further information -
Aideen McGovern, Returning Officer
Contact details - Telephone No. 071 9650462; E-mail: - firstname.lastname@example.org